You always see him (and his son) at races, but he’s a man of few words. So here’s a tiny peek into the mind of this mileage machine.
1. When and why did you start trail running?
I started running in the summer of 2012 to relieve stress. Years earlier I had been backpacking on the Pin-Chin-Sky loop and found myself hiking straight into the Cheaha 50k runners. That planted the thought of trail running into my mind. Naturally I went straight to trail running. I avoid running roads as much as possible.
2. How do you spend your time when you’re not running?
When I’m not running I’m working and spending time with the family. We love road trips. As a family we have driven to all 48 contiguous states.
3. What’s your favorite race and why?
Mount Cheaha 50k was my first 50k. The beauty and difficulty of the course along with the great RD’s make the race one I look forward to every year.
4. What is the longest distance you have run? Any future aspirations?
I recently completed the DT Stone Anvil 200-mile trail race. I am looking at some future challenges but haven’t settled on anything yet.
5. What is one thing most people don’t know about you?
I was once a rocket scientist and worked on the Strategic Defense Initiative (commonly called Star Wars program).
6. What motivates / inspires you?
I love challenges, mental and physical. I enjoy seeing others reach beyond what they once thought was impossible.
7. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
I have travelled, lived, and worked around the country. There is no where I’d rather live than right here in Alabama. Other places are fun to visit but there is no better place to call home.
- Lori Lyons